Thursday, July 20, 2006

Scared of Dogs

I have this habit of walking to the Lake every evening. The walk to the lake and the walk on the lakeshore has always been pleasant and relaxing except for the fear of dogs. I dont hate dogs but I'm scared of their very sight. Most of the houses in America have dogs. From the moment I step out of my apartment, I become cautious. I cautiously (but pretending to be cool) switch to the other side of the road every time I see a someone walking a dog in my vicinity. I hate it when the owners untie the leash and let the dogs play. They know that dogs are friendly, but they must know that they are unpredictable too. I feel they should realize the potential danger that dogs can present.

The street dogs in India are even more scary. I often avoid going to houses that have dogs or even cats. I remember the instance when me and and my friend were walking down the steps from my friend's apartment and she was few steps ahead of me. When we were coming down we saw a fearceful dog inside the gate and it started running towards us as if it was waiting for us to come down. We immediatley turned back and started climbing the steps, fast..really fast. Oh! I didn't know until then that we could run that fast. Suddenly, I heard a "aaaaahhhhhh!!!" sound and I then realised it wasn't "we" but just "me" who climbed the steps quickly. When I came running down my friend was lying on the floor crying and the dog was running furiously the other side and then we took her to the hospital for all those series of injections. By the time we got back, the neighbours told us that the dog has bitten 3 other people in half an hours time.

They say American dogs are not like Indian Dogs. I dont think so. The fact is "They are Dogs"!

6 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Anand said...

Hey,
Came to ur blog thru ekta's and can relate to this post!
Am not too fond of dogs either and I do find some of them scary!
And its irritating when people leave their dogs without a lease--coz ur right ..they are still dogs and one can never read their minds!

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Yadayada said...

Anand,

I now know I'm not the only person scared of dogs.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aveeyal (BTW wat does aveeyal stand for),
I came across your blog through several links. urs seem to be very different. Infact we can start a community for dog haters. Lemme b the moderator.

--Kokarako Gumango group

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Yadayada said...

Sure I'm in.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

Ooh dogs!!
Well they'r good from far...but no where close to me..
I find it difficult to cuddle them...somehow am very consious that the dog can bite me everytime I am close to them!

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Jimbo said...

There are dangerous people out there that are unpredictable, does that mean that all people are unpredictable, and should be contained at all times ?
It stinks that you had a bad experience with dogs early in India. Maybe you should put your energy into eliminating the street dogs in India instead of whining about dogs here that are most likely friendly. I do feel the pain of your fear, but you are stereotyping all dogs as the same.
They are as different as people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home